C. St. James chapel
In 1586, halfway between Częstochowa and Jasna Góra, the royal tax assessor Jakub Zalejski (Zaleski) founded a wooden chapel and a hospital for the poor. When handing it over to the care of the Częstochowa City Council, the official made the reservation that it should never be "passed over to the hands and stewardship of the priests of the Monastery on the hill". The equipment of the chapel and the hospital grew thanks to donations from Częstochowa townsmen. Around 1630, however, the building was overtaken by the Pauline Fathers, and in 1642, through the efforts of the Pauline Provincial and the Prior of Jasna Góra, Father Andrzej Gołdonowski (1596–1660), it was demolished. The townspeople of Częstochowa resented the prior for deciding to take over the town's land for debts, as well as for taking away their rights to the St. Jacob's hospital and shelter for poor administration. On the site of the old building, Gołdonowski erected a brick structure of quite considerable size. It was a chapel situated on a small hill and surrounded by a wall. It had an octagonal shape, small turrets in the corners, and was capped with a cupola with a lantern topped with a bulbous dome. On the north, it was adjoined by a one-story hospital building.