Zrewitalizowany Stary Rynek w Częstochowie

mobilne menu
Treść strony

C. The Pauline fathers’ monastery by st. Sigismund’s church

The first building of the monastery was probably erected after it was taken over by the Pauline Fathers in 1474; however, the first information about the existence of the brick building comes from 1598. During the visitation of the Częstochowa parish commissioned by Bishop of Cracow and Cardinal Jerzy Radziwił, it was recorded that the prior and three brothers live in a brick monastery next to the church. Around the middle of the 17th century, the monastery was extended, or rather a new building was added. Father Andrzej Gołdonowski was the initiator of the project. The Gothic building of the monastery was meant to be connected with the church at the height of the first floor through an arcaded passage. The monastery is depicted among others in the engraving by J.A. Gorczyn. To the south of the church, a one-story building can be seen, topped by a high roof, with a hexagonal turret topped by a bulbous cupola. A porch with windows, supported by two arcades, that connected the church and the monastery is also visible.