E. Cemetery Chapel of the Holy Cross
The Holy Cross Chapel, which no longer exists, can be seen on the copper engraving by Jan Bensheimer, entitled The Swedish Siege of Jasna Góra in 1655. It was erected within the cemetery existing at that time just outside the walls of Częstochowa, in front of St. Sigismund's Church, to the west of it (today there is Ignacy Daszyński Square in this area). This cemetery probably replaced an earlier church cemetery that was too small. The foundation of the cemetery chapel, as well as the expansion of the necropolis in 1643, is attributed to the prior of Jasna Góra, Father Andrzej Gołdonowski.